What is carbon monoxide? Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless, tasteless, gas that is an extremely toxic pollutant poisonous to humans. Carbon monoxide alarms were created to alert individuals of leaking toxic carbon monoxide. It is important to know the signs of malfunctioning carbon monoxide alarms and what to do. Here’s what you should know:
- Carbon monoxide detectors provide early warnings of CO gas in your home. The noise of the alarm can be heard around the entire house. This can give you plenty of warning to gather your family and quickly leave your home.
- According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards, smoke detectors should be placed on each floor of your home, each bedroom, and in your bedroom hallways. One working smoke detector will not be a sufficient source of detecting any poisonous gases in your home.
- Smoke detectors require minimal maintenance; however, it is very important to regularly change your batteries twice a year. A practical way of remembering to change your batteries out is by changing them when daylight savings changes.
- Fire experts suggest routine testing on your carbon monoxide alarm by pressing the test button on the detector. It is wise to practice this monthly routine testing because although carbon monoxide alarms are reliable and don’t normally malfunction, it is not uncommon for accidents to happen.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can be a very serious, sometimes fatal issue. Ensuring that the alarms in your home are up to date and functioning properly can save the lives of every individual in your home. At Nipper Electric, we provide a variety of installation and maintenance services. A reliable carbon monoxide detector is an essential element in your home. Whether you need carbon monoxide detector installation, repair, or routine testing done, Nipper Electric is ready to resolve any issues in your home. Contact us today to receive a quote on carbon monoxide detector installation.