Text Us

You Call, We Answer 24/7

8 Signs of Bad Wiring in Your Home

8 Signs of Bad Wiring in Your Home

Of all of the systems in your home, your electrical can be one of the most important to be kept up. Bad wiring in your home could result in dangerous electrical problems. These eight signs of bad wiring can help you to know if it’s time to contact an electrical professional.

  • Lights that dim or flicker. It may seem like something normal, especially in an older home, but this can potentially be a severe issue. Check for any loose lights. If that doesn’t help the issue, it may end up being a problem with your wiring, a fault component in your electrical fixture, or an overloaded circuit.
  • Circuit breaker issues. If you’re noticing that your circuit breakers are often tripping or need to be replaced, it’s a sign that there could be an issue with your wiring. In some cases, it could also be that your circuits aren’t enough to keep up with the appliances and electronics you have plugged in, and the circuit is overloaded. This situation often happens in homes with older electrical systems unable to keep up with modern electricity needs.
  • Knob and tube wiring or aluminum wiring are both old ways that houses used to be wired, and over time, can become dangerous.
  • Crackling or buzzing noises. Some people can hear the electricity in their home, and it’s typically not an issue, however, if it gets louder or more significant than it was in the past, a problem may be presenting itself.
  • Hot spots and vibrating on your walls or outlets. These are signs of bad wiring that can’t be ignored. It’s time to call an electrician to identify the issue as it could lead to an electrical fire.
  • Frayed wires, outlet, or switch damage. This type of damage can be a sign that there’s an electrical issue going on, and these items need to be replaced. You may also find that a pest infestation is causing problems with chewed wires, and that’ll need to be handled, as well.
  • The smell of something burning or scorch marks on switches or outlets. This sign is dire, and it’s time to get a professional to investigate the issue.
  • Smoke or sparks from appliances or outlets. These are severe signs that require the help of a professional. Be sure to unplug the item if you safely can.

Any of these signs of bad wiring should be addressed as soon as you notice them. Contact the experienced professionals at Nipper Electric today to schedule an inspection appointment.