Professional Electricians Prepare Families for Fall
At the end of every season and the beginning of a new season, clean up and preparation must be done. Nipper Electric can help you with repairs, installations, additions or improvements as you move from summer to fall. Some of our services include:
- Electrical Troubleshooting
- Repairing Wiring
- Electrical Installations
- Generator Installations
- Lighting Upgrades
No matter what you find during your summer and fall check-ups, we can help you solve it. No job is too big or too small for our professionals.
Why do a Summer Clean Up?
During summer, heat, storms, rain, and excessive electrical use can all take a toll on home and office electrical systems. It is important to do a quick check of all indoor and outdoor electrical wiring, plugs and circuitry.
In summer, Air conditioners run full blast. Kids on summer break will run more devices and keep them charging during the day. TVs get a major work out. This increased demand can be hard on the circuits, wiring and general well-being of your electrical system. Here are a few things consider:
- Signs of Bad Wiring – If wires are loose during summer time when they expand, they are sure to cause big problems in winter and fall as they constrict. Be certain to run a diagnostic on your wiring, watch for:
- Hot Receptacles
- Flickering Lights
- Overloaded Panels – If your electrical demand has increased during summer, your panel is sure to have felt it. Check to make sure the circuits are working or look into upgrading your panel.
- Air Conditioning/Heating Issues – If your air conditioning or heater isn’t running properly, it can drag a lot of electricity from your power and cause giant bills. Make sure to go over heating and cooling and be certain they are working properly.
- Energy Efficient Additions – After paying high electrical bills all summer, it’s a good idea to start looking for some energy efficient adjustments to your home. Even though energy consumption drops during fall, it picks up drastically again in winter. Be prepared with energy efficient options like:
- LED Conversions
- Programmable Thermostats
- Solar Panels
- Energy Efficient Lighting
Your outside electrical outlets and systems need special attention after summer. The heat and extreme weather of summer can be really damaging for outdoor wires and cables. Loose wiring, cables or receptacles can bring dangerous problems to your home.
Check these issues to stay safe:
- Weatherheads – The area where electrical lines meet your wiring is known as a Weatherhead. Storms and heat can cause damage to Weatherhead connections. These damages can lead to electrocutions, fires or worn wiring.
- Frayed Wiring/Cables – Any outside frayed wiring is potentially dangerous. But, this is especially true for areas near water. Check electrical around pools, ponds, water hoses, ponds or any water feature.
- Receptacles – All outdoor wiring should be GFCI plugs. Though these plugs are safer, they too can become damaged. Make sure all outdoor outlets haven’t grown loose or become damaged. If you don’t currently have GFCI outlets near water sources, make sure you update them with receptacle installations. Nipper Electric is familiar with all Virginia Beach electrical code and skilled in installations and upgrades.
Keeping Your Home Safe, Season after Season
Virginia Beach has incredible summers, full of sun and fun. These same summers can come with powerful weather that can damage your electrical systems. Nipper Electric works hard to keep Virginia Beach homes safe every season. Don’t hesitate to bring us all your questions. Call us today at 757-842-1710 if you need to run electrical diagnostics or you’ve found some issues on your season check-up. You can even make an appointment online while you relax.