Find Extra Money with Ideas from Professional Electricians
Fall is right around the corner and for the Virginia Beach area, that means holidays, gamedays, and cooler weather are all on their way. If this time of year is the beginning of your busiest time of year, planning ahead can make all the difference. Nipper Electric knows how busy and overwhelming the fall and winter seasons can become, so we want to help you with a few energy saving tips that will put more money in your pocket and more time in your day.
Cutting Back Doesn’t Mean Giving Up Things You Love
Gearing up for football season, harvest festivals, holidays and cooler weather can really take its toll on our time and our money. But cutting back on spending doesn’t mean you have to give up the things you love. If you use smart energy efficient tips, you can enjoy all the things you love and still come out on top. Here’s where to start.
- Lighting- Lighting your home, particularly during the holidays, is expensive. You can drastically cut down on your lighting costs, even with holiday lights, when you choose the right bulb. A CFL or LED light bulb will save you at least 75% of the costs you use for traditional lighting. That means you could potentially save over $3.00 per light bulb in your house a year. Add up all the lights in your house and see how much that could mean for you!
- Heating and Air- In our homes and offices, heating and air conditioning make up almost 50% of our electrical costs. You can cut down on heating and air costs in a lot of different ways, including.
- Install Ceiling Fans- Using a ceiling fan can cut down on costs all year long. Turn the to the clockwise position in winter to circulate warm air and then switch to counter-clockwise during summer to bring cool air downward.
- Curtain Control- Good curtains with insulated backing can actually help keep things cool or warm things up. Open curtains during warm parts of the day to let in natural light and warm up rooms in the chilly part of fall, then close them during winter or summer months to keep out hot and cold.
- Programmable Thermostats- A programmable thermostat saves you time, energy, and money. It also keeps your home comfortable year round. Simply install and program the thermostat to comfortable temperature settings for the times you are home and it will automatically adjust the temperature. These automatic adjustments can be made while you are away from the home so you aren’t using air or heat during times the house sits empty.
- Household Chores- Save the chores for low impact times during the day. Many power companies have different costs for different times of the day. If you do chores like running the dishwasher, laundry, cooking, and charging devices during low peak times, you can save a little green all year long.
- Go Green- Take the plunge and make your home energy efficient. You can do this all at once or with little changes throughout the year. Solar power is always an option. Nipper Electric regularly installs solar panels, EV charging stations, LED conversions, and even solar powered outdoor security lighting. Any of these changes will make a big difference in your electrical costs.
Be Prepared for Fall
From football to Halloween to cooler weather, fall and winter can quickly overwhelm our schedules and our pockets. Nipper Electric can get you ready for the upcoming months with simple installations or big technology changes. Remember, no job is too big or too small! So call us today at 757-842-1710 or make an appointment online. We’ll get you started saving money today!