Holiday Season is right around the corner. Family and friend will start gathering together to enjoy seasonal treats from Halloween to New Year’s Eve. Unfortunately, this busy time of year comes with quite a few hazards. Nipper Electric loves the holidays in Virginia Beach. We want to be sure you and your loved ones enjoy a safe and happy holiday season this year and every year. To help you protect your family and friends, we’ve prepared a quick guide to follow while cooking.
Top Cooking Safety Tips
Home fires increase during the holiday months, particularly from cooking. When you start cooking or preparing for big holiday gatherings, make sure your keep this checklist handy.
- Make Plenty of Space to Work– Clutter creates dangerous situations. Too many items in the kitchen can cause nasty falls, melting utensils, even start a fire. Prepare your workspace, get rid of everything you don’t need and leave the decorations to other areas of the home.
- Don’t Overload Receptacles- A regular plug or receptacle should be used carefully, particularly in the kitchen. Too many appliances plugged in can damage the receptacle and cause sparks, tripped circuits and overheating. If you don’t feel like you have enough receptacles or your receptacles aren’t convenient, Nipper Electric can safely and quickly install extra receptacles to handle the appropriate load.
- Divide and Conquer- If you have a lot of dishes on your menu, delegate and/or cook ahead. A lot of side dishes can be easily prepared before the big day then reheated deliciously right before meal time. You can also delegate other dishes to guests. Doing a little at a time before the meal will not only be safer, it will also take a lot of stress off of you.
- Focus! Focus! Focus!- Don’t try to do too many things at once. This includes watching TV or entertaining guests while cooking. But especially, never ever leave cooking unattended. This is the number one cause of kitchen fires.
- Crowd Control- Too many cooks in the kitchen is a big mistake. Try to have other activities for your guests if they are going to be in your home while you are preparing the meal. If you have different people helping in preparations, have stations for everyone with everything they need. This will keep you from tripping over each other or possibly burning or scalding anyone while cooking.
- Smoke Alarms & Carbon Monoxide Detectors- Make sure your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are up to date and ready to go! It only takes a couple of minutes and could save your life. If you don’t have either or both of these, your professional electrician in Virginia Beach can quickly install them. They will make sure the alarm fits your home and is placed in the right place. Be sure to design a fire escape plan for all your guests.
- Exhaust Fans- When you’re doing a lot of cooking, a properly installed exhaust fan is vital. These devices will help you keep steam, smoke, and general odors from overwhelming your home. They also protect your walls and surfaces from mold and deterioration.
Keep Your Holidays Safe As You Cook
Holiday meals are favorites we look forward to all year long. From pumpkin spice to yule logs, we just can’t get enough of these seasonal dishes. Make sure your home stays safe while you entertain your guests with careful preparation. If you have any questions or concerns about your home’s electrical or if you need to add some safety measures, Nipper Electric is here to help. We have provided trusted electrical services to the Virginia Beach area for over 15 years. Call us today at 757-842-1710 or schedule an appointment online. We can handle any job, no matter how big or small.