The holidays are here and budgets are often stretched. From gifts to celebrations to bigger heating and electrical costs, the holidays can really take a toll on your bank account. But what if there were a way to cut costs without missing out on holiday fun? As professional electricians in the Virginia Beach area, Nipper Electric has experience cutting costs for our clients. We want to help you with your holiday costs too. Here are a few of our top tips for saving money during the holidays.
- Choose Lighting Carefully- If you haven’t already, the holidays are a great time to start using low-cost lighting. Even switching from regular incandescent lights to CFLs (Compact Fluorescent Lights) can save you almost 70% on energy usage. Converting to LED lights can save you even more energy use and last over 17,000 hours longer than CFLs.
- Christmas Lights Can Still Shine!– You don’t have to give up your holiday sparkle to save money. Simply change out those old bulbs to LED lights. These lights will save you money throughout the season. Want to save even more? Try some solar powered holiday lights for your home or office.
- Timers and Dimmers– You can cut down part of your electrical costs when you install and use options like timers, sensors, and dimmers on your lights. Timers will turn your lights on at regular times of use while you are away from the home to discourage break-ins. Sensors can be used on lights in bathrooms, hallways, and security lighting to turn on or off when someone is present. Lights will be left on less, outdoor security will be more focused, and night lighting can be more convenient for guests. Dimmers can help adjust lights throughout the day to use energy in the most efficient way. Nipper Electric has installation and programming services for all of these options.
- Unplug Appliances– Even when your appliances are not in use, they can still draw power through the outlet. This phantom power equals to about 15% of your energy usage. Unplugging devices, appliances, and even lighting can help you save money throughout the year.
- Keep Your Heating Inside– Heating costs can be cut down by using special curtains. Insulated curtains or blackout curtains will prevent the cool from seeping into your home and the heat from leaking out. This can cut 25% or more of your heating costs!
- Consider Smartening Up Your Home– Even just one or two smart devices for your home can make a big difference in energy costs. It could be as simple as installing and setting up a programmable thermostat. This will help keep the house warm while you are there and use less energy while you are gone. You can even program your thermostat to gradually warm up while you’re on your ride home.
- Use Big Appliances in Off Hours– Many power companies have peak hours when they charge more for energy usage. Avoid extra costs by trying to use bigger appliances during off-peak hours.
Simple Adjustments Can Save You a Lot of Change
The holidays should be a time of relaxation and fun, not of worry. Using the tips we’ve shared could help you save time, energy, and money. If you have any questions or are interested in making some changes, call Nipper Electric today at 757-842-1710. Or you can make an appointment online. No job is too big or too small, we can handle them all!