Text Us

You Call, We Answer 24/7

Signs That Your Home Has Old Wiring

Signs That Your Home Has Old Wiring

While old homes are amazing purchases full of potential and beauty, more often than not, their electrical wiring may be old too. Unfortunately, old wires can become frail and weak, on top of not being able to keep up with new technology and appliances. Because of this, it’s important to have your electrical wiring inspected to make sure that everything is working properly and safely. 

Here are a few signs that your home may have old electrical wiring:

1. Outlets That Can’t Hold Plugs

One sign that your wiring may be old is loose outlets that can’t seem to ever hold your plugs. This is because over time these wiring connections can loosen.

2. Flickering or Dim Lights

Another tell-tale sign that your home may have old wiring is if the lights seem to constantly flicker or dim, especially when you use other appliances. This could be caused by an overloaded circuit, which can get dangerous quickly.

3. Scorch Marks or Burning Smell

Obviously, a burning smell is never good when dealing with electricity, but many times people want to just put it off as some sort of dust or dirt that got in the way. With old wiring, your outlets may smoke, have a bad smell, or even have scorch marks on them from faulty connections.

4. Tripping Circuit Breakers

If you are constantly having to reset your circuit breakers, it could be a sign that your circuits are overloaded by your appliances and your wiring may be too old to handle it.

Electrical Troubleshooting and Repair

Old wiring can be dangerous in more ways than one and is something that should be inspected and repaired by professionals. If you have observed any of these signs or believe your home has old wiring, don’t wait to get it checked out. Call us at Nipper Electric for all of your Virginia Beach electricity needs or contact us here to see how we can help.