Electrical Outlet Installation
Installing outlets into your home may sound easy enough anyone can do it, but the job can range from simple, to more complicated depending on if you’re simply replacing an existing receptacle, or running new circuits or extending existing ones. Be sure to know when to call in a professional, as working with electricity can be very dangerous.
These tips below are a general guideline and can be helpful in gauging if your skills are enough to do the job. Here’s what you’ll do to install an outlet:
- Gather Tools and Supplies
- Turn off the Power, Test for Power
- Prepare the Cables
- Strip the Wires
- Attach the Pigtail Wires
- Connect the Ground Wire to the Receptacle
- Attach the Neutral and Hot Wires to the Receptacle
- Attach the Receptacle to the Box
- Attach the Cover Plate
If any of these terms or instructions seem unclear or unusual, consider leaving the job to your friendly neighborhood electrician, Nipper!