Your Problem is Our Solution
We’ve all experienced annoying flickering lights or have been frightened by a sparking outlet. The NFPA cites electric faults as a leading cause of house fires. Nipper Electric knows when small irritations turn into dangerous problems. Our skilled and certified team of electricians in Virginia Beach can keep your family or staff safe by:
- Performing Regular Maintenance.
- Updating or Repairing old or worn circuitry and wiring.
- Update your panels to appropriate power levels.
- Upgrade or retrofit your lighting.
- Check energy use to make sure your panel has enough power for your electrical needs.
- Test circuits and outlets to ensure they are working properly.
Before your home or office is damaged through electrical fires, here are a few electrical hazards and ways to spot them.
Arcing is a main electrical hazards plus a major cause of residential and commercial fires. Arcing occurs when a current jumps from one electrical wire to another. Usually, this happens when with frayed or cut wires. Hanging pictures on walls or moving furniture across some cables can easily damage wires. Electrical arcs get extremely hot, sometimes up to 10,000 degrees Celsius. This extremely dangerous electrical hazard can severely burn or electrocute people. Arcing also can start wires inside walls.
Signs and Causes of Electrical Arcing
- Lights flicker during windy weather. – Movement of damaged or frayed weather-heads causes Weather-heads are the fixtures where outdoor cables enter your building.
- Outlets can’t hold plugs. – Contacts within your outlet get worn down. Plugs fall out. Besides just being annoying, this is very dangerous. Arcing at outlets cause fires within and outside of walls. Before damage is done, Call Nipper Electric right away to install new outlets.
- Overheated outlets or connections. – Arcing happens where wires are cut, frayed or pass each other unprotected. Wiring in the 1960s and 1970s depended on cheaper aluminum materials, instead of copper. When aluminum meets copper, corrosion creates loose connections. Loose connections create fire hazards. Luckily, Nipper Electric specializes in repairing aluminum wiring. We can keep your home running safely.
Overheating happens in other places besides outlets and connections. are not the only areas for concern. Areas where electrical power can’t meet incoming demands also result in overheating. The worst part is overheating creates other problems, including arcing, bad connections, an extreme current, and breakdown of insulation. Worn out insulation means wires are exposed. Exposed wires trigger sparks and fires.
Signs and Causes of Overheating:
- Overheated Plugs & Wiring – As stated above, overheating can come from corrosion, loosened connections and frayed or worn wires. However, warm plugs can also cause fires just by being too hot next to flammable items like paper or clothes.
- Extension Cords overheating – Extension cords get shabby or torn when not used correctly. Extension cords are meant to be a solution for a temporary problem, not a permanent fixture. When people use low power extension cords for big currents, cords overheat. Call Nipper Electric to install new receptacles right away. It could save your home.
- Overused or Over-wired Panels – Blown fuses or circuits that often trip can be signs of an overused or over-wired panel. Homes made before the invention of computers, hair-dryers, cell-phones and other devices usually required an amp level around 30 amps. Today the requirement is at least 100 amps, even this is a low amp level to keep up with technology demands. Overworked panels lead to circuitry problems. As circuits wear down, fire hazards and shock hazards increase. . If your home or office building was built over 50 years ago, have a professional check your panel and wiring. Nipper Electric offers free estimates to help you troubleshoot problems before they become dangerous.
Older homes were built to last. Unfortunately, their wiring wasn’t built to last and keep up with new technology. Knob and tube wiring has worn down over the years, making it dangerous. In newer homes, aluminum wiring has corroded, causing arcs and loosened contacts. Poor wiring can bring your whole home down. Even if you own a newer home, wiring needs to be checked every 5 years.
Signs of Old Wiring
- Many of the signs for other problems are also symptoms of old wiring. Warm outlets, outlets that won’t hold plugs, blown fuses, and lights that flicker can all be signs of old wiring. Outdated wiring can be fixed. Don’t delay contacting a trustworthy electrician.
Experienced Virginia Beach Electricians
At Nipper Electric, we know electric faults in your home can be scary. We use the best products. Our licensed electricians are ready to help you. Leave the worrying behind, call today at 757-842-1710, or schedule an appointment online. Our team is ready to put your mind at ease.
RESIDENTIAL ELECTRICAL SERVICESAluminum wiringBathroom exhaust fansCarbon monoxide detectorsCAT 5 and CAT 6 WiringChandelier InstallationDimmer InstallationDock Electrical WiringElectrical TroubleshootingFan installationsFlat screen TV installationGenerator InstallationHome Automation ServiceLandscape lightingLED Light ConversionLighting upgradesMeter Box ReplacementOutdoor security lightingPanel upgradesPathway LightingPool and hot tub wiringPool Light ReplacementPower OutageRecessed LightingReceptacle installationSecurity Camera InstallationSolarSub Panel InstallationTrack LightingUnder Cabinet LightingUSB Receptacle InstallationVehicle charging stationsWhole House Surge ProtectorAttic Exhaust Fan InstallationBathroom Fixture Installation