Depending on the nature of your commercial business, it is likely that an electrical transformer plays an integral role in ensuring that your energy needs are being met, while controlling your costs and ensuring the safety of your staff. Nipper Electric is a locally owned and operated Virginia Beach electrical company that can help you out with any needs associated with your electrical transformers.
What Does My Transformer Do?
You may know that there are one or more transformers at your facility, but you may not know exactly what its purpose is. The purpose of a transformer is to increase or decrease the current and voltage that is being dispersed to your electrical system. This allows the electric in your commercial facility to be efficient and safe while operating at the appropriate voltage. Nipper electricians have the expertise to properly install and maintain customized transformer units that accommodate the size and performance requirements of your business.
Are All Transformers the Same?
Different electrical systems and varying needs of different types of buildings and businesses may require different kinds of transformers. They are not all the same, and a skilled professional should always evaluate your company’s needs to ensure you are using the proper transformer. Different types of commercial transformers include:
● Buck Boost Transformers. Boosting refers to increasing voltage and bucking decreases voltage in lighting applications.
● Toroidal Transformers. These devices use electromagnetic induction to transfer electricity from one circuit to another without changing its frequency. This reduces losses, physical size and weight of switch-mode power supplies. This transformer’s design is circular, which assists in preventing electromagnetic interference.
● Isolation Transformers. The isolation properties of this type of transformer allow it to connect two appliances without feeding power from one device to the other. If you need to isolate a piece of equipment from your power supply, this is a good choice.
● Pad Mounted Transformers. These transformers are a popular choice because they are contained in a protective unit and distribute power underground. Public spaces like retail stores, restaurants, offices, and schools often use this type.
● Step Up and Step Down Transformers. These transformers can increase the amount of voltage transferred or decrease it.
● Cast Coil Transformers. These transformers require minimal maintenance over their long lifespan. They are popular for their ability to handle thermal stress, electrical stress, and overvoltage. Their construction makes them resistant to moisture and airborne contaminants, and they work well in paper production, food and beverage preparation, and medical, automotive, and pharmaceutical manufacture.
● Dry-Type Transformers. One benefit of these transformers is that they save money on cable runs, via their ability to be installed close to the electrical load. Their maintenance and operating costs are also low, which makes them an attractive option.
● Liquid-Filled Transformers. Depending on the type of liquid used in these transformers, they can be used both indoors and outdoors. They are great for a wide range of commercial and industrial applications. For indoor use they are filed with high fire point liquids, but outdoor transformers use mineral oil.
No matter what your needs are when it comes to commercial transformers, the experts at Nipper Electric can handle the job. We can inspect, install, repair, and maintain your transformers to optimize your energy efficiency and keep your staff safe. Call us today at (757) 842-1710 to find out how we can help.