Surge Protector Installation In Norfolk, Chesapeake & Virginia Beach
Power surges happen regularly. In just a matter of seconds, a surge in your power can damage everything from computers and smart TVs to your average appliance. After the damage is done, there isn’t much you can do besides replacing damaged appliances or repairing damaged wiring. Nipper Electric can provide your home or office with additional protection with our trusted whole home surge protector installations.
Whole home surge suppressor protect’s your home or office and prevent expensive damage to your devices, appliances, and electrical systems. They can also add value to your home.
What is a Power Surge?
A power surge happens when the regular stream of electricity is disrupted and then reinstated or when electricity flows backward into the electrical circuits or systems. Electricity regularly flows to appliances and outlets and through the circuitry of your home. These electrical currents are regulated and controlled until a power surge occurs. Suddenly there is a spike in the electricity flow that can be very damaging. These surges can occur for multiple reasons.
Causes of Power Surges
- Tree Branches or limbs coming in contact with a power line.
- Small Animals, like squirrels or rodents, in a transformer
- Damaged Wiring
- Large Appliances like air conditioners or refrigerators turning on and off.
- Power lines being down.
- Utility Company issues from power grids.
- Lightning striking either on the house or nearby.
Dangers of Power Surges
When power surges happen, currents can be overwhelming for the circuitry, wiring or appliances, and devices in your home. These surges can happen without lightning and can be completely undetected while they leave behind serious electrical issues. The damage can be slight or very dangerous. Some hazards that can occur after power surges include:
- Damage to any appliance that has a microprocessor:
- TVs, Blueray, DVD players
- Computer, Phones
- Washing Machines
- Stove, Oven
- And much more
- Memory loss in computers and other smart devices.
- Damage to Circuitry. Power spikes or surges can literally fry the wires and damage other outlets. Fire is a big concern with damaged circuitry.
- Melted Connectors. Connectors that are damaged lead to dangerous exposed wires or open currents that can cause fires or shocks and electrocutions.
- Damaged Wiring. Just like melting on connectors, power spikes can cause wires to become damaged or frayed. Frayed or damaged wires can lead to fire, shocks, and electrocution. Nipper Electric has expert experience in repairing all types of wiring issues.
- Electronic Rust. Wires become corroded and no longer conduct electricity.
Protect From Power Surges
Many people already have power strips to protect regular appliances or devices like computers, TVs and gaming systems. These devices help but they do not provide anywhere near the same amount of protection as a whole house surge protector.
A whole home surge protector can prevent expensive repairs, devastating damage or even dangerous fire hazards for your entire house or office. They also add value to your home and can lower homeowners insurance rates. Here’s what to consider when choosing surge suppressor.
- Choose the appropriate level of protection for your electrical demand.
- Check the amount of Joules on each protector. The base level begins at around 200 joules, the moderate level is 400 joules and the highest level of protection begins at 600 joules and beyond.
- Make sure you have a professional electrician, like Nipper Electric, install the device directly to your meter or electrical panel for whole home protection.
- Look for UL voltage ratings.
Power surges can strike anytime and without much evidence. Nipper Electric wants to keep your home or business safe during all electrical challenges. Call us today at 757-842-1710. Or make an appointment online, we’ll have your home or office protected in no time.
RESIDENTIAL ELECTRICAL SERVICESAluminum wiringBathroom exhaust fansCarbon monoxide detectorsCAT 5 and CAT 6 WiringChandelier InstallationDimmer InstallationDock Electrical WiringElectrical TroubleshootingFan installationsFlat screen TV installationGenerator InstallationHome Automation ServiceLandscape lightingLED Light ConversionLighting upgradesMeter Box ReplacementOutdoor security lightingPanel upgradesPathway LightingPool and hot tub wiringPool Light ReplacementPower OutageRecessed LightingReceptacle installationSecurity Camera InstallationSolarSub Panel InstallationTrack LightingUnder Cabinet LightingUSB Receptacle InstallationVehicle charging stationsWhole House Surge ProtectorAttic Exhaust Fan InstallationBathroom Fixture Installation